A. General Information
EAC SCT (Single Customs Territory)
The Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda, and the United Republic of Tanzania, with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
B. Lessons Learned
The Single Customs Territory has been implemented to facilitate faster clearance and improvement in cargo movement along the two corridors (Northern and Central) and the now Standard Gauge Railway line.
To further consolidate the goals of the Customs Union and to address the challenges experienced, the Summit of Heads of State decided on the implementation of the Single Customs Territory which commenced in July 2014. This was a major milestone and final stage towards the attainment of fully fledged Customs Union. Under SCT assessment and payment of duties is done at the destination Partner State while goods are still at the first point of entry.
Transit system for EAC
Application of Law Difference in application of Custom Laws and Instruments, Duplicated Procedures; Multiple Customs declarations at Internal Borders, Security Bonds Multiple Security Bond regimes, Varying Valuation Application of varying Valuation approaches, Enforcement Weak Enforcement Mechanisms, Non Tariff Barriers Multiple Road Blocks along the Transit Corridor, Cargo Flow Restricted Flow of Cargo, Congestion At the Ports and Border Stations , Complex clearance Complex Clearance Procedures involving many Government Agencies
The interconnectivity of customs systems in the region facilitates seamless flow of information between customs stations, a payment system to manage transfers of revenues between Partner States; and legal provisions to enjoin Partner States to enforce customs debts on behalf of each other.
- Reduce the Cost of doing business by eliminating duplication of processes
- Reduce administrative costs and regulatory requirements
- Reducee the risks associated with non compliance on the transit of goods
- Synergy through shared resources and utilization of economies of scale
- Efficient revenue management
- Enhance application of Information Technology and data collection at regional level: “Single Customs Territory – The East African Community Model" By Beatrice Memo (Ms)
EAC / TMEA /KRA /USAID /GIZ